(Updates) New method | (Sown) Tea tree and chamomile

Recycling pop bottles – creating a water reservoir

I clicked on a link a member posted in the Green Culture Singapore forum on using pop bottles to plant stuff. The only reason why I never thought of it before was that I was afraid the plants would get wet feet and rot.

But after seeing the site, I decided to give mine a go using the site’s way of soil and having a water reservoir, in addition to me already recycling the bottles for hydroponics. So…

Recycled bottles

I added a cord of twine to aid in the wicking/capillary action. We’ll see how well this method works.


Soil with vermiculite in the cut top half of the bottle.


The twine.


Pak choy

I sowed about six pak choy seeds in pure vermiculite with hydroponics solution around the 15th of April to allow quicker sprouting and experimentation.

Today, I transferred two seedlings each into different mediums/methods:
1. Pure hydroponics
2. Semi-hydroponics
3. Soil with water reservoir.

The aim is to find out the taste differences between edibles grown in different mediums.


The six bottles.


The two in pure hydroponics held up with a rooting cube.


Semi-hydro – planted them in a thumbpot of soil with a cord of twine to draw hydroponics solution upwards using capillary action.


Pure soil using a water reservoir. Also with a cord of twine.


This is how it looks like.


From the top.


The twine.


Rocket

The two rocket seedlings transferred to pure hydro solution is doing quite well. Just did a solution change since the old one was filled with algae.


The roots.


Tea tree and chamomile

Sowed tea tree and chamomile seeds (thank you Petunia for the chamomile seeds!) in water reservoir method.

Advertisements

(Updates)

From 07.02.09

Rocket seedling.

From 07.02.09

My grapefruit mint has revived itself with a vengeance. Huge leaves!

From 07.02.09

Local lettuce from Ban Lee Huat. Gotta separate them into individual pots soon.

From 07.02.09
From 07.02.09

I love the shape of the leaves of the totem cherry tomato.

From 07.02.09
From 07.02.09

Yet another transplant needed soon.

From 07.02.09

Pure hydroponics kangkong leaf.

From 07.02.09
From 07.02.09

Kangkong in their bottle of hydro solution.

From 07.02.09

Strawberry saxifrage runner leaves.

From 07.02.09

Butterhead lettuce seedling transferred to pure hydro solution.

From 07.02.09
From 07.02.09

You can see the butterhead’s roots.

From 07.02.09

Choy sum and one butterhead.

From 07.02.09

Choy sum leaf bigger than my 2nd and 3rd fingers together.

From 07.02.09

Tea tree (melaleuca alternifolia) seedlings sprouting in pure vermiculite with hydroponics solution.

(Update) Various plants

The sun finally came out and stayed out today. It’s actually sunny instead of gloomy. My flip-flap is still flapping from the brightness, even though it’s place deep in the room.

W00t! for sunlight.

From 27.02.09

Butterhead lettuce seedling which just sprouted today. In hydroponics system with pure vermiculite. Seeds from Oh Chin Huat.

From 27.02.09
From 27.02.09

Rocket seedlings grown from seeds from a kind Folian.

From 27.02.09

My current hydroponics setup (leca, fine vermiculite, and net pots) with three choy sum pots and one butterhead lettuce pot.

From 27.02.09

Butterhead growing true leaf!

From 27.02.09

Choy sum.

From 27.02.09
From 27.02.09

Totem cherry tomato seedlings with true leaves. Seeds from Swallowtail.

From 27.02.09
From 27.02.09

Local lettuce from Ban Lee Huat. =D

(Space Clearing) Of the clearing and reshuffling of space | Plants

My planting space was getting really, really cluttered, what with countless experiments using hydroponics and soil methods for seeds, and propagating a lot of mints for sale, and-this-and-that.

So, I cleared more dead plants, rearranged A LOT of things, and yay, more space.

The kinds of “creativity” us apartment-dwellers with space constrains have to come up with is amazing.

From 18.02.09
From 18.02.09
From 18.02.09
From 18.02.09
From 18.02.09

SPACE!!!!


From 18.02.09

The lemon eucalyptus was growing almost to the ceiling. I repotted and repositioned it to give more upward space for it to grow.


From 18.02.09

Mints for J.; Lavender ‘Goodwin Creek’; Rosemary. And extra space on the next tier behind them.

From 18.02.09

Capsicum.

From 18.02.09

(Clockwise from top left) Propagated pineapple mint; sawtooth coriander; water rooting peppermint; thyme seedlings.

From 18.02.09

Two circular pots – rocket seedlings; lettuce; totem cherry tomato; mulberry.
Sharp-leafed spinach; lettuce; kangkong.

From 18.02.09

Hydroponics kangkong.

From 18.02.09
From 18.02.09

Choy sum seedlings in hydroponics. Empty pot is for lettuce seeds which didn’t germinate.

Vegetables update

From 27.01.09

Kangkong sprouts pretty easily. They have visibly strong roots.

From 27.01.09

Rocket seeds from Dawn sprouted, too. =) They look so cute. Their leaves are shaped as small little clovers, unlike other sprouts, with typical leaves.

From 27.01.09

Sharp-leafed spinach seedlings all popping up.

From 27.01.09

Lettuce seedlings.

From 27.01.09

Kangkong seedlings in soil growing strong.

From 27.01.09

Sawtooth corianders firming up.

From 27.01.09

Capsicums setting fruit after successful manual pollination by me.

Sprouts

My lettuce, sharp-leaf spinach, rocket and kangkong seeds have sprouted. W00t.